Monday, November 24, 2008

Prayer

I kept meaning to update this blog.

Every time I checked for new comments or emails I would think to myself, "I need to write a new post."

I understand that nobody waits breathlessly for new posts from us.

I started to realize that I was putting this off. There is no good reason. I wasn't scared to post. I just felt like I didn't have anything super important to say.

It dawned on me tonight... thats the same way I view prayer.

I have 2 kids. One is a baby and the other is 2. My wife and I make a point of praying at every meal. We are trying to instill those habits into our children. We bless the food and then move right into the next, more enjoyable phase.

Real prayer time for most people does not include a meal. Have you ever been at a church picnic? You know how you can feel your stomach churn with hunger. You are so ready to dive right into the food while the pastor gives the LONGEST blessing you have ever heard? The whole time you are thinking, "end it... I'm really hungry." That is how a lot of Christians view meal time prayers.

It sounds crazy... but I know you have done it on one level or another. 

Anyway... praying for God's blessing on a meal is rarely the spiritual connection that the Bible describes when talking about prayer. That is totally our fault. I'm not discounting blessing the food.

Sometimes I lay down at night and try to conjure up the will to pray. I finally tell myself that God doesn't want me to fake it... and I fall asleep. 

How insulting that must be. 


My daughter, Evie, always follows a routine when I put her to bed. If she decided one night to skip the nightly kiss, I would be crushed. Sometimes she gives me a quick peck and then goes right back to cuddling with her stuffed Eeyore. I'm not offended on those nights. At least she made the effort for my sake. That tells me that she still cares about me.

Sometimes we have to pray for God's sake. He is our father after all. I'm not saying that God needs us. He is the infinite God of the universe, after all. But, He does WANT us. He wants to spend time with us. He wants to hear from us.

I believe that God enjoys hearing our prayers about the same way I enjoy getting a kiss from my daughter. When we don't mean it, God still might be happy that we took the time to talk to Him.

I often realize that when I start out a prayer without feeling very enthusiastic, it turns out to be a very close, real prayer. I admit that I am tired, burdened... God lightens that load to meet me where I am.

Prayer isn't about the words that we say. God knows our hearts. Phony sentiments only make us look like fools. So why not lay it out there?

God often surprises me when I don't feel like I deserve it. 

1 comment:

Jenna De Los Santos said...

wow. this really touched me spiritually, what a great analogy :) I need to make more of an effort when it comes to prayer. thanks for posting this!