Thursday, September 25, 2008

Jesus On the Radio

We talk about music a lot.

Thats not an apology.

I was listening to the song "Run" by Snow Patrol. This might be one of my favorite songs. It always reminds me of my good friend Cary. Specifically, it reminds me of the time his girlfriend (now wife) told him that the song makes her think of him. What a great song.

This is my favorite part:
"Light up, light up
As if you have a choice
Even if you cannot hear my voice
I'll be right beside you, dear."

The song took on new meaning recently.

My daughter, Evie, had a febrile seizure in the Springfield Airport. We were minutes away from boarding a plane. This was supposed to be the first leg of our move to the Dominican Republic. Instead, we skipped our flight and took an ambulance to the hospital. We didn't know what was going on. We were so scared.

The whole time I was in God's face. I demanded His attention. I begged for Him to hear me. It was a very raw prayer. I remember letting everything pour out. I pleaded, I cussed, I cried... In that moment I would have traded anything to know that Evie would be alright. In that moment, I didn't filter my prayer. It was real.

"Even if you cannot hear my voice, I'll be right beside you dear."

I couldn't hear His voice. I couldn't see His face. I was scared and I felt alone. He was right beside me. He answered my prayer before I even prayed it.

I am blown away that God revealed that to me through "Run".

The song carried a meaning for me for years. It reminded me of my friend. I sang the lyrics and thought of Cary and Candace. Then, when I faced sadness and fear, God reminded me of those lyrics to comfort me in a new way. The message was there in front of me all along.

The Bible works this same way!

They are just words. It is just a poem. It is just a story of a boy that threw a rock at a really bulky guy. We take a scholarly approach to interpreting the message. We take it at face value. How could we do anything else?

Then we have a moment in our life that changes us. The words become comfort. The words become joy. The words become something... spiritual. We are refined, grown, matured... through these words. We read a paragraph that we have read dozens of times, but now, we finally see.

Don't mishear me. I believe that this happens because these are the words of God. However, I do not believe the words of God are limited to just the Bible. I believe that the words of God can be in a song. I believe that God can speak to Cary in a breeze. I believe that God can speak to us in our dreams.

Truth is truth, regardless of the source.

Jesus will meet you in unexpected places sometimes. If you aren't careful, you might miss Him. Be ready. Expect Him. I never know when He will speak to me.

I never know when He is going to be on the radio.

Can you relate?

Leave a comment and share your stories. If you're not signed up to blogger... email me: johnniesen@gmail.com

No comments: